Wednesday, December 07, 2016

No one "works" on Poppler

I thought that was obvious, but today someone thought that i was "working" as "paid working" on it.

No, I don't get paid for the work i do on Poppler.

It's my computing hobby, and on top of that it's not even my "primary" computing hobby, lots of KDE stuff take precedence over it, and i guess Gnome stuff may also take precedence for Carlos (second top commiter according to the git shortlog)

Aside a few paid contributions and some patches that may have come from people that use the software on their business (and we could file them under "paid" since they did the fix as part of their job) no one has a paid job that is mainly "work on poppler".

I guess we've done a good enough job as hobbyist :)

Obviously we could do better, so if you have lots of money and are interested in making free software PDF rendering beter please hire someone to help us (no, this is not me asking for money, I've a good enough job already).

And if you don't have money but you have some free time and like to help, join us :)

And if you really really have some free time or lots of money you could port Okular, Evince et al to pdfium and see if it's actually better/worse than poppler.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

would it be possible make okular available on windows? do u think that would help recruit developers?

Albert Astals Cid said...

Yes, it would be possible, are you volunteering to do it?

Unknown said...

I wish but I have no coding experience, I'm a physician who loves this project, with an interest in FOSS! Stupid question maybe, but could it be put toward gsoc student? or would that mean you need to supervise and that's another time commitment which I totally understand!

Albert Astals Cid said...

Yes, it's always work.